[sudo-discuss] Launch of "Funding Your Science Idea" Edition 2

Eddan Katz eddan at eddan.com
Thu Mar 21 13:11:30 PDT 2013

Dear Radha -

The attachment didn't seem to come through. Sounds like interesting and useful information. It is evident that there is a lot of exciting activity and innovation taking place in the Indian Science Industry. Are there sections in this volume you've collected relevant to Open Access publishing funding opportunities? Is there anything in there supporting telecentres/hackerspaces in rural and under-resourced urban locations?

If I may also take this opportunity to ask someone who would know - I'd be interested in learning a little more about how an open knowledge model could benefit from the information available. For example, to what extent is the valuation of a project measured by patent protection? I'd be interested to know from your vantage point whether the big generic pharmaceutical companies in India are now trying to develop their own patent portfolios now that the WTO extension on implementation has run out?

Also, it would be interesting to know more about how traditional knowledge, both as biodiversity and folklore, are funded and promoted. There are many here at Sudo Room working on bio-agri-tech to whom this may be relevant. Is there a way for us to have access to information about those plant and genetic materials that must be licensed for use in product development?

Thanks again for reaching out to us about this. If you could send along the sample copy, that would be great.

Thanks,
Eddan