[sudo-discuss] Spiritual analysis of last weeks Meeting

Anon195714 anon195714 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 19 14:49:23 PDT 2013

Case in point of the cultural item I wrote about yesterday in this
thread, that most hackers are more interested in hacking than in
political/administrative tasks.

Which to my mind supports the case for a representative structure rather
than trying to engage everyone in tasks that many will find are tedious
and even incomprehensible.  Those who have the expertise and the frame
of mind to take on issues such as revisions of bylaws and so on, should
be encouraged and formally recognized to do so.

Re."rules":  There's rules and there's rules, and there's agreements
among consenting adults.

Nobody here would think it amusing to try to hack a rule that forbids
physical aggression against others, e.g. "Hmm, if I just discretely push
someone so they fall down, and then claim it was an accident, can I tie
up the group with a six-hour meeting about this and still end up keeping
my membership?"  Or rather, it would be a paradigm case of the most
obnoxious kind of trolling.

Same case about serving alcohol to people under 21 who might be at
events.  That carries the risk of the place getting shut down or
otherwise subjected to external legal sanctions.

In the end, we're self-governing, so the "rules" we make are _agreements
among consenting adults_.

-G.

=====