[sudo-discuss] Freedom of name: making it stick via commerce.

Anon195714 anon195714 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 16 20:19:23 PDT 2013

Hi Andrew-

Do you know for a fact that the legal issue with PayPal was "money
laundering", and that they solved it by some kind of agreement to hold
and optionally keep the proceeds of "risky" transactions?

I'd be interested in the legal definition of money laundering.  I'm
inclined to believe that the definition includes a provision about
"...for criminal purposes, or in facilitation of a criminal or
civilly-tortious act..."  That is, the mere fact of anonymity does not
make for money laundering, any more than it does when paying cash.

But how does Anonymerse differ from any other transaction with a
pre-paid (anonymous) card?  That is, if you get a gift card for Target
and you go into the store and buy a few pairs of underwear, does the
store require to see photo ID?, and if so, what do they do with the name
data they collect?  And then, why don't they card you when you pay cash,
which after all could be stolen money?

IF the only thing standing between us and Anonymerse is to agree to hold
up "risky" transactions, then we can agree to do that:  no purchases of
firearms, ammo, chemicals, biological materials, or "any goods that are
restricted from being freely shipped via the Post Office."

The "Post Office" explanation is good enough to serve the purpose
without appearing to give even an inch on the core civil rights issues.
There are some who would object to such limitations, but to my mind they
are a small price to pay for the freedom to buy _anything else_ without
having one's name attached to it and subject to stalking by Big Data.

But "risky transactions" are not isomorphic with "money laundering" or
"criminal purposes," as someone could just as easily convert stolen
money into any conventional goods and sell the goods on Ebay.

When the crypto debate was a hot topic, I had a few lengthy
conversations with a woman who was a federal prosecutor in a
high-profile hacker case (at the time, there was a lot of friendly
debate between hackers and feds, so a lot of people were having these
kinds of conversations; nowadays similar conversations are occurring
about biohacking).

My position was that for every criminal act there are physical
concomitants that can be used as evidence to convict.  She raised the
issues of financial fraud and child pornography.  I conceded that she
had a valid point there: the evidence for those crimes could be pure
information, and if encrypted, inaccessible to prosecution.  But in any
case, the crypto debate was won by e-commerce and EFF legal actions.

But here we're only talking about the ability to perform online
transactions with the same anonymity as cash transactions: taking
something that occurs face-to-face all the time and bringing it online.
This should be an easier debate to win.

There's another potential fallback position that could be an absolute
win: that Anonymerse would collect legal names, but would not provide
them to third parties except under subpoena or search warrant.  That
kills any objection that's based on the issue of potential money laundering.

There's a really major point that needs to be made here, that most
people don't get.

And that includes most people at Sudo Room.

I'll put it in subsequent email to follow this...

-G.

=====