[sudo-discuss] conflict resolution proposal

Marina Kukso marina.kukso at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 13:02:51 PST 2013

hi everyone,

according to the articles, we only have a few decisions that we make:

- conflict resolution
- amendments
- budget
- endorsements

voting procedures for all of these (in terms of 2/3, consensus, etc.) are
clearly spelled out. it looks like what eddan is proposing below is the
flowerings of an amendment to create a new thing to vote on - the creation
of new roles.

(also, i believe that in places where eddan uses "unanimity" below it would
actually be accurate to instead say "consensus.")

- marina

ps - on a related note, i think the articles have done a good job clearly
laying out how we vote on things once we have something solid in place.
from my perspective, we've been running into murky areas when trying to get
to a solid decision that can be voted on (in the past, we've run into
problems getting a single budget to vote on (this should be much resolved
with our new budget sheet), getting a single conflict resolution decision
to vote on (we're in the process of addressing this now), and getting a
single amendment text to vote on). "reaching consensus" would be the
catch-all way that we "get to a single decision to vote on" (i mean, what
"consensus" really does is move away from the idea of having a single thing
to vote up or down on), but i wonder if what we need is a little bit more
defined structure on the process of reaching consensus, ie, working with
others to draft amendments, etc.? we have some of that, but maybe we need
more? maybe not even anything formal, but sort of "best practice"...what do
others think?