[sudo-discuss] Test Driven Articles Development

William Budington bill at inputoutput.io
Wed Mar 6 23:20:55 PST 2013

I thought of this during the meeting but didn't want to veer too far off
topic, but since the analogy of articles amendment to software
development (particularly version control) came up, I thought this was
pertinent.  At certain points during the Articles of Association, it
might be a good idea to write tests.

Test Driven Development is an integral part of a lot of software
development - coming up with different situations and contexts of how
your software is used.  But it can actually be applied here quite easily
- especially to the 'conflict resolution' sections.  How well do the
articles we've agreed upon handle different types of conflicts?  Well,
we can write test cases for them.  For instance:

Test Case 1: Someone has stolen money from the donations jar
Test Case 2: An injury happens at Sudoroom

The more tests we write, the better the coverage of the articles are in
different situations.  This may also help elucidate the gaps where our
articles may need amending.

Writing tests also actually helps clarify the meaning and intention of
articles with more obtuse language.

I was going to go create a wiki page on it, but the server rejected me
from creating a login for some reason :(

Bill