[sudo-discuss] It's Unconscionable

Eddan eddan at clear.net
Sat Mar 2 13:37:00 PST 2013

Not sure how to append or collate this with Daniel's section, but included
below is a draft of suggested comments I tried piecing together. I think
that if we are to have a statement, that we should merge our various
contributions to represent one voice. I'm not sure what platform is best to
do this kind of thing on, but have had some positive experience with
http://www.co-ment.com/.

sent from eddan.com

---

To our community –

It is in good conscience that we, the members of Sudo Room, host the
Lock-Picking session at the Workshop Weekend taking place at 2141 Broadway
[and Tech Liminal] today. As even a quick glance at the rest of the program
would make clear, we are a diverse community of technologists, artists, and
activists joined together by the ambition of figuring things out for
ourselves and teaching other people how to do it.

A further step back would reveal a context of free and open to the public
educational opportunities covering everything from sewing recycled fabric
into sustainable clothing; making vanilla extract to experiment with new
flavors of ice cream; creating a transparent and democratic corporate
governance; and indeed yes – taking locks apart and reverse engineering
software.

Regarding the option of calling a locksmith, an Oakland resident locked out
of their house or car should be advised to read through the peer review
websites carefully for reputable services before calling their number. It
is our general belief that public safety is better served when the skills
necessary to be hired as a locksmith, for example, are taught in classrooms
rather than by picking it up in the actual commission of crimes.

We share in our city’s mourning of the death of Kiante Campbell at the Art
Murmur last month. Collectively and as individuals, we are also aware of
and concerned about the alarming levels of crime in our neighborhoods. It
is in fact those concerns that have made for the greatest challenges in
offering an openly accessible entrance to our building. Being a
horizontally-governed organization, the compromised option of only several
people having the keys is problematic. We are now experimenting in our own
space with ways that can increase security while preserving the privacy of
the general public. We intend to share our results publicly on our website
and wiki, as with all of our other projects, so that public safety in
Oakland can be more effectively enforced.

We regret that Mayor Quan stepped back from her support of the event,
though we appreciate her support for our innovative programs that are
bringing about an emergent start-up technology culture in downtown Oakland.
We can certainly sympathize with the overwhelming task of responsibly
editing a large amount of information such as what is in the Mayors’
newsletter. We intend for this unfortunate series of misunderstandings to
be yet another incentive for us to work on some of the projects we’ve
already started – those aimed towards more efficiently sorting through
large volumes of information to allow for making editorial judgment calls
more fairly.

We would like to take this unsolicited opportunity to make our intentions
clear with Police Chief Jordan and Mayor Quan. We have among us people who
can contribute a great deal to solving our law enforcement technology
problems and addressing the cyber-security concerns of critical
infrastructure such as the Port of Oakland. We hope to get a chance to work
together with our city’s leaders in bringing cutting-edge capacity building
to the people of Oakland with sustainable and equitable economic
structures. We are trying to be very conscientious about it – we welcome
you to drop by one of our many events or visit our website for information
about our initiatives.