[sudo-discuss] Friday Filosophy: Software as Speech

Anon195714 anon195714 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 1 18:54:47 PST 2013

Yo's-

Since I couldn't make it in person...

Hypothetical:

Assume the existence of intelligent computers that can make autonomous
decisions, which many folks believe will become a reality in the near
future.

Alice Analyst publishes virus source code in an online computer security
publication.  So far that's clearly protected speech, nobody here would
argue otherwise.

Bob Badguy reads the article and types the code manually into a
computer, with the overt or covert intent for the computer to broadcast
the virus and infect other computers.

Does it matter whether the computer into which Bob enters the virus
source code, is an ordinary computer that does what it's told, vs. an
intelligent computer that has the capacity to make autonomous decisions?

Clearly if the computer is an ordinary one that is not capable of
autonomous decisions, then Bob's typing of the virus code into it would
constitute an "action" rather than "speech," and would not be
protected.  He could be successfully prosecuted for unleashing the virus
upon the world.

But if the computer is an intelligent one that can make autonomous
decisions, then could Bob rightfully claim that his typing of the virus
code into that intelligent computer was _also_ protected speech, merely
an exercise in communication with another sentient being, the same as
Alice's original publication?

-G.

=====