[sudo-discuss] It's Unconscionable

Eddan eddan at clear.net
Fri Mar 1 15:23:18 PST 2013

I see it somewhat differently, and think the Workshop Weekend letter was
thoughtful and appropriate, given the circumstances.

I think the letter was most effective in almost completely narrowing a
public debate that quickly spun ridiculously out of proportion and
corrected the gross misrepresentation of the first stories covering it. It
makes a lot of sense in terms of being sensitive to the particular climate
in Oakland right now, and I didn't get the impression that it was
apologetic about actually holding the workshop. In fact, they(we)'re going
forward with holding it even after the Police Chief himself came out
publicly saying it was wrong in no uncertain terms and the Mayor officially
disassociating herself from the initiative. To stand stubbornly firm in the
context of a fatal shooting at the last Art Murmur over rhetorical leeway
would likely be seen as insensitive and provocative.

All the sincere stuff about building skills and teaching a way of thinking
would get totally lost in the mainstream media cloud. The editors are
unsurprisingly having fun with the headlines. *See* SF Weekly - "Mayor Jean
Quan Promotes Lock-Picking Classes, Gives Young Burglars a Chance to
Succeed" [
http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2013/02/mayor_jean_quan_offers_lock-pi.php
]

It was smart to leave the core explanation of why this is important to a
block-quote by T.O.O.O.L., who teach the class. I also think it was a smart
move to pull back from selling the kits this time around - no use getting
the education meme sullied by claims of commercial opportunism. It would be
cynical not to concede that selling lock-picking paraphernalia alongside
lock-picking lessons could reasonably be seen as inappropriate
encouragement. It's not about being right - our ultimate goal is to
actually engage with the community meaningfully, right?

All that having been said, I have not hidden my opinion that Sudo Room
should also publish a statement, as the community hosting the event in our
common space. I'm interested to find out if that sense is shared by others
and even more importantly, legitimately opposed.