[sudo-discuss] Fwd: Marina, today is the last day to receive $50 off Workshop Weekend: Arduino admission!

Craig Rouskey craigrouskey at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 15:52:18 PDT 2013

Hello! For those of you who don't know, my name is Craig. My fellow citizen
scientists in the Bay Area and I are launching our project aimed at
monitoring and *eradicating antibiotic resistant gonorrhea using Phage
Therapy*.

We need your support! We are nearly ready to begin our screening program
and are bootstrapping the project as we speak! Please read the following
information and let us know how you would like to help. If you are able to
contribute funds (i.e. support our laboratory rental fees, help us purchase
equipment, reagents or supplies, or support the screening of individual
patients, please contribute through our online WePay campaign. If you would
like to contribute by lending your time, talent, or expertise, please feel
free to reply to this e-mail!

WePay campaign: http://www.wepay.com/donations/gonorrhea-eradication-team
Project Site: http://www.sudoroom.org/wiki/Phage_therapy

*About us:*
We are a volunteer group of experienced citizen scientists working to
foster healthy communities through innovative medical research. Our team
includes PhD and Masters-level microbiologists, immunologists and cellular
biologists. Together, we are taking on our first major project: the
eradication of antibiotic resistant gonorrhea! We would like to work with
you to: (1) Implement an on-the-street Gonorrhea screening program; (2)
Provide a consistent feed of data that is open to the public (open-access);
and (3) develop novel, phage therapies for the treatment of antibiotic
resistant Gonorrhea.

*Why Antibiotic Resistant Gonorrhea?*

Since the 1970s, the bacterial pathogen Neisseria gonorrhoeae (Gonorrhea)
has been developing resistance to 3rd generation antibiotics. These
antibiotics are the last line of defense against gonorrheal infection.
Antibiotic resistant Gonorrhea is therefore a growing public health
concern. In the United States, this concern is exacerbated by the fact that
primary treatments for gonorrheal infections are solely antibiotic-based.
It is crucial to continuously monitor antibiotic resistant Gonorrhea while
researching and developing new, non-antibiotic treatment regimens.

*Screening and Phage Therapy*
Patients who participate in free Gonorrhea screenings will have their
private results within 24 hours. The results will be available online
through our data reporting system. Patients will enter in their Patient ID
and self-generated passphrase to obtain their status.

>From this private, anonymous, and secure data, we will openly and freely
publish results detailing the incidence and prevalence of the emerging
antibiotic resistant strains of gonorrhea. Upon receiving results, patients
will be counseled as to how to seek treatment.

Positive results will be reported (anonymously) to the Center for Disease
Control and positive samples will be grown in our laboratory. From these
samples we will harvest and characterize the viruses that infect Gonorrhea.
Bacterial viruses (bacteriophages or phages: viruses that infect only
bacteria) are present in all species of bacteria and when active, have the
potential to kill or 'shut down' their bacterial host. Infecting Gonorrhea
with its own bacteriophage causes the bacteria to die. While gonorrhea is
fighting its phage infection, your body will have time to generate a
natural immune response to your gonorrhea infection. Bacteriophage therapy
is already being used for other infectious diseases including tuberculosis
and with your commitment, we can make this new gonorrhea treatment a
reality!

There are many ways to participate in this project! By contributing funds
you can either support our lab rental, fund our equipment and reagent
purchases, or fund our screening program. You can also participate by
coming to our weekly meetings and lending your scientific brain to the
project.

Here's to making the world healthier!

Craig Rouskey