[sudo-discuss] hacking housing - RV / deployable housing

Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
Mon Jun 24 14:40:32 PDT 2013

First you pay for land, then you pay for shelter.  Sometimes...

Lots of RVs and campers available for cheap - if you can find a compact way to handle fresh, grey, and black water and to get power (could be very simple DC charge system depending on your needs) then you can remove a substantial chunk of those of overhead costs associated with being alive and not living in the woods AKA rent.

Here's a fixer-upper for $100
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/rvs/3892303357.html

much nicer for $1500
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/rvs/3886875523.html

cabover for $400...different mobility requirements
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/rvs/3890658560.html

one for 250 http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/rvs/3889952340.html

For temporary lodging, a flatbed or utility trailer could house all the bits and pieces to erect a sizeable facility.

Pack in some extra PVC and poly sheet and you have a deployable garden.  I can't work this sort of living at the moment but if anyone in town wants to retrofit one of these bad boys to be more self-contained and awesome, I would be glad to help just to learn the ins and outs.  Would also be a good excuse to go to the woods for science.

happy hacking