[sudo-discuss] Maui Makers - B9creator

rusty lindgren rustylindgren at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 20:34:36 PDT 2013

Hey everyone,

While I was in Maui I thought I would check out the only hacker/maker
space, so I caught up with Jerry Isdale of Maui Makers yesterday, and
helped assemble the B9creator 3d printer.

Maui Makers just lost their location, so I drove out to Haiku, where all
the gear is now.  Haiku is close to the East side of the Island, and it's
more remote, rainy and generally beautiful like the rest of the island.  In
Haiku, they had some really cool tools, like a laser cutter.  I have a
decent picture of a cool LED backlit wood box that Tony and Jerry built
with a laser cutter.

 It was actually really not too hard to do(although, I mostly just took
pictures).  The directions are kind of like lego directions, you get pdfs
for different components, there are some written explanations with
pictures, and then a final assembly doc,...all and all, the design plans
were clear and straight-forward and all lego-like.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see any printing, because the printing
solution didn't come with the printer.  So, If you do get one of those
printers you need to order the printing solution.  With the printing
solution, the whole set-up is about 1300 bucks.  It's a bit on the pricey
side for a modest 3d printer, but it looks pretty high-quality when you
unpack everything.  The parts were solid in my hand and it includes a
projector, so it doesn't seem  overpriced.

Anyway, I'll send those images around when I get back... I might stay a bit
longer, but I haven't told my boss that yet ;)  Heh, boss... what a weird
word.  I don't think they have that out here... very mellow.

Cheers,

Rusty
**