[sudo-discuss] Opt out of PRISM

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Wed Jun 12 14:44:14 PDT 2013

The three-letter agencies need a good lesson in marketing.

The way to do surveillance is to offer "free candy & toys" in exchange
for tracking everything you do, everywhere you go, scanning for keywords
and emotional tone in your email and phone calls, and doing the same to
all your friends who write to you or talk to you over the intercepted
channels.

For cover, occasionally pester you with ads that seem a little too
personal, so you complain about the ads but don't notice Big Brother
lurking behind the curtain.  And claim it's all consensual since
everyone who signed up clicked the check-box "I Agree" on the
interminably long TOS page.

Then when it's time to increase the level of surveillance even more,
bring out a new consumer toy, starting with beta tests offered to a
select group of the hippest coolest people around.  That'll get
thousands of others to want it, so they can seem as if they're part of
the elite.  After it's gotten plenty of chirpy reviews from the supine
media, offer it to the masses.  Alternately, find some "need" that can
"only" be met by having even more pervasive surveillance in exchange for
"convenience."

That works fabulously well, as recent history shows.  And a strong
enough plurality of the people who are being watched, listened to,
stalked, and sniffed, will even defend it, to the point where anyone who
objects gets labeled as a luddite.

One more thing.  Have a young billionare as the figurehead, or come up
with a slogan that makes the company doing it seem "different" or
"better" than a corporate reptile.  A slogan such as "don't be evil."

If the three-letter agencies did that, even a major leak wouldn't slow
them down.

-G.

======