[sudo-discuss] Art Murmur discussion list sign up page

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Tue Jun 11 18:32:00 PDT 2013

Also, Yahoo got PWNED pretty badly about a week ago, userIDs and
passwords compromised for a very large number of users, and their
accounts used to send spam and malware.  So if you have a Yahoo account,
change your password ASAP.  (One of my clients' personal email addresses
got compromised in the attack.  Also, British Telecom cancelled its
contracts with Yahoo as a result of this.)

There is a way to stop spam dead in its tracks, which is to charge a
teeny-tiny fee for every outgoing email.  This would destroy the
economics / business model that allows spam to thrive on "free" email.
(As Richard Stallman says, "free speech isn't the same thing as free
beer.")  However that won't help if scumbags break into networks and
steal user accounts.

BTW, the recent flood of proposals for surveillance-based authentication
("behavioral passwords" and "password in a pill") are utter bullshit.
All that's needed to block password scanning is to use three-word or
four-word passphrases: easy for humans to remember, hard for computers
to break.

-G.

=====