[sudo-discuss] new occuption in SF: #gezigardens

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Mon Jun 10 15:24:19 PDT 2013

Rich Guy decides to move into new apartment across the street for
$3,000/month.  Owner of his old apartment puts it back on the market for
$3,000/month.  Four guys who have just scored H1B visas move in the next
day.

Four hackers lose their jobs to the guys with the H1B visas.  Three of
them are living in tiny "studios" for $2,000/month, but one of them has
a 1-bedroom apartment at the same price, so all four of them
"consolidate" into the 1-BR together to save money.

That's how "the market" _really_ works.  When there are more humans than
there are resources to employ and house the humans, the value of humans
declines relative to the resources needed to support them.

Meanwhile, since our unemployed hackers also have carpentry skills, they
move into the one-bedroom apartment together and build two sets of
double bunks in the bedroom for sleeping.  They soundproof the closet to
provide "private space" for carrying on their sex lives, and use a
scheduling app to coordinate use of the closet, and use of the shower as
well.

They spend two hours a week having "house meetings" with topics such as
"who left a mess in the sex-closet this weekend?" and "which blend of
coffee to buy for the network-connected coffee maker?"  The one who's
gay publishes sarcastic "back in the closet" jokes to a mailing list,
and the jokes go viral.  One of them 3D-prints a multiple-hopper input
device for the coffee maker and a cup-sequencer for its output, enabling
it to handle four different blends of coffee at once, and is hailed as a
genius by the other three.

-G.

=====