[sudo-discuss] Hacktivists For Science!

Lisha Sterling lishevita at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 03:13:43 PDT 2013

Hi Sodoers!

“Hacktivism is a form of political activism, also referred to as being part
of  cyberactivism. It is a hybrid expression linking both hacking and
activism, whereby hacktivists make use of the internet ... Political hackers
are thereby trying to achieve a certain political and societal change,
shift, statement, or behaviour by using technical mechanisms against e.g.,
political parties, governments, organisations, etc. by using this technological
tools."

There is a young lady named Leonie who lives in Belfast and is working on
her Master's Thesis at Queen's University there who would like to talk to
some hacktivists to help her understand what hacktivists are, what we do,
and how we see ourselves versus how people outside our group see us. This
is good research IMO because it helps break down the images of "hacktivism"
as being about destruction of websites and DDoS attacks -- concepts that
were part of her initial working definition of "hacktivist" when she
applied for her human subjects permit a year ago.

When I think of "Hacktivism" I think of many people, but I ESPECIALLY think
of sudoroom. You guys are super activists in all the ways that I hold dear,
so I hope that some of you will reach out to Leonie and take part in her
research.

You can reach her at Leonie Tanczer <ltanczer01 at qub.ac.uk>. If you wish to
send her encrypted email, her public key is posted on
http://pgp.mit.eduand the fingerprint that I have for her in my own
keychain is
3AA3 3037 6DF0 A649 63BC FB22 3417 15C5 FF72 36C2

- Lisha

PS I miss you guys!

--
http://www.alwayssababa.com/