[sudo-discuss] new occuption in SF: #gezigardens

Jehan Tremback jehan.tremback at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 17:38:56 PDT 2013

I doubt that a farm will make SF rent any more affordable, while new
housing will. Building temporary structures is a great use of an
underutilized backyard, but there is no way that a plywood hexayurt will
last 200+ years like an actual building will (not that your hexayurts
aren't awesome, Morten).

There seems to be a group of people who are intensely interested in
agriculture, but only if it will lead to a confrontation with the police.
There are also people who have strong opinions about the zoning of
neighborhoods they do not live in, despite never having attended a single
planning board meeting.

OSF, to me, was less hypocritical because the stated aim was always
occupation as a means to protest greater societal ills. Squatting in empty
buildings also makes some sense because the space is not being utilized.
Blocking construction that will make the city more affordable, while
sustaining well-paying unionized construction jobs is handwavy posturing.

-Jehan