[sudo-discuss] Sudouino328 PCB Design

Jake jake at spaz.org
Sun Dec 22 12:47:13 PST 2013

Hi Hol,

I have lots of opinions and advice about this design, but i would like
more info about the state of the project first.  For example i am curious
whether this thing will have a USB port or use the 6-pin serial header
like a Boarduino.

I have a bunch of Atmega32U4 chips that you can use for this project.
True that they are surfacemount but it's not harder to do than
through-hole, in fact it can be much easier even for newbies.  I have
syringes of solder paste, although it can be done with regular solder
easily.

here's a video of someone doing it with hot air (note:  they fool around
with the narrow stream of hot air, but you can just do it in a blast with
a regular hotair gun in much less time)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2Z7nCAxS2Rg#t=548

the nice thing about the atmega32U4 chips (besides the fact that I will
donate them to the project for free) is that they have native USB, which
means your boards can plug straight into a computer like an arduino
leonardo.  Also they will be able to pretend to be other devices, like a
keyboard, mouse, printer, disk, or whatever you want.

specifically about the SAE connectors, I am against them.  I think the
board should just have 1/8" holes for wires to be soldered into.

-jake

Hol wrote:
Almost done w/ PCB design.  That's an ATMega328p processor and a ULN2003
for power output up to 3.5 amps out of the box.  Still need to add some
connectors for I2C and 12V, 5V.  I usually use SAE connectors
http://www.vetco.net/catalog/images/G-QD-10-2.jpg for my 12V loads but we
could solder on a barrel jack, or just ship it with holes for DIY
soldering of connectors.  Suggestions?