[sudo-discuss] Fwd: hackerspace burn-out

Chris Bee hotelcompany at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 00:03:47 PST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chris Bee <hotelcompany at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Subject: Re: [sudo-discuss] hackerspace burn-out
To: Romy Snowyla <romy at snowyla.com>

I agree with everything on that list, and speaking for myself I think I
deal with those issues well enough...I'm pretty good at
compartmentalization, and can recognize when the issue lies within me and
not assign blame or heat where it's neither needed nor warranted.

But...

I'd like to add "failure to grasp or acknowledge the DIY aspect of
hackerspaces." This is directed towards people (NOT sudoers) who seem to
regard sudo as a go-to for broken shit that they have no intention of
fixing themselves...I don't mind helping people as long as a) they want to
be involved with the process of getting their gear working again and b)
don't expect me to put whatever I'm doing at the moment on hold to give
them my undivided attention. This has probably happened to all of us at one
point or another...I'm getting better at setting boundaries but sometimes I
feel like I have to be short with people who I really don't want to
alienate but who simply aren't going to get the message any other way.

One thing I've started doing is wearing a large pair of headphones, which
is a cue I picked up from juul....if that doesn't send a clear signal that
"I'm here temporally but somewhere else psychically" then I figure it's
okay for me to let whoever is trying to drag me into their project what's
really going on.

-chrisbee