[sudo-discuss] [BAPS-Organizing] Proposal to Galvanize

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 18:59:06 PST 2013

Agreed with Hol & Keenan - what Matt's proposing is a push toward
collectivizing now through bringing together groups that need space but
can't afford it on their own. Given the crunched time we have for such
efforts to coalesce (if we do go for the Omni) and the amount of
coordination involved, it would be great to start working together asap.
This could also take the form of coordinating on projects and events, like
the event Jeremy is organizing.

Hol and others, I've added extensive notes re: the omni to
https://sudoroom.org/wiki/The_Omni - including notes from the first two
'collective of collectives' meetings. Thanks to Juul for putting together
the bulk of these :)

~!~
I think Matt's proposal has legs - for sure, it would be great to try to
get a critical mass of collectives together regardless of the Omni or where
we end up collectively moving.

On the negative side there is mostly only the potentially dissonant
messaging of BAPS & Sudo trying to get out of 2141 because of all the
reasons we already know, while at the same time trying to get new folks
*into* 2141. Also the reality that paying rent at 2141 for new groups will
invariably cut down on their potential initial investment capital going
into another, new space. But, if the lease is month-to-month, and there are
currently space-less groups willing to put down in there, heck why not? I
don't think new groups will get too excited about an office off the main
room per se as a space to work in, but the benefits being proximal to BAPS
and Sudo, and actually having a space for those who are currently nomadic,
and most importantly not waiting to start actually forming the collective
of collectives *now*, to the extent that we can, definitely makes sense to
me.

David