[sudo-discuss] Proposal to Galvanize

Jeremy Entwistle jwentwistle at cryptolab.net
Wed Dec 18 13:05:33 PST 2013

I think it's assuming too much to initiate a conversation about moving
in with other collectives without getting to know them. I certainly
support and encourage the idea of moving in with other collectives,
which is why I am initiating support for the Mass Effect event, but
building the relationships and learning to collaborate in the larger
community is more important to me. I want our culture to take precedent
to our own politics and economics.

I went to Rock Paper Scissors meeting and discussed Mass Effect with
them. They seemed very supportive of the idea, except the date (First
Friday). First Friday is resource intensive for them and it raises a lot
of money for them too. They proposed doing it Second Saturday and I
think it's a good idea. They have contacts and reach into the art
community equivalent to Sudo Room does for hackerspaces. Not to mention,
the Art Murmur coincides with First Friday, which makes it even more
difficult for the art community to be there.

In other words, is there any reason the event shouldn't be moved to
Second Saturday?

The basic premise of the event is for all the collectives to come
together to share their projects and ideas. Then have time to meet each
other afterwards and build relationships. Certainly this will happen if
we buy a space together, but this is an important part of making that
space happen, rather than asking somebody to sign a lease and we get to
know each other later. Quite a few people want to help with the event
and I'm interested in discussing it in person, tomorrow (our busiest
day) at 6-7:30PM. In other words, if you want to go to collectives and
get them interested, talk to them and meet them, then please come to the
meeting so we can effectively make it happen.

Take care,
Jeremy

https://twitter.com/jwentwistle