[sudo-discuss] Reminder: "Battle for Oscar Grant Plaza" documentary screening today, 3-5pm!

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 13:31:54 PST 2013

Hey sudo! This afternoon starting at 3pm:

Short documentary screening: “The Battle for Oscar Grant Plaza” by Jacob
Crawford and co-produced by Dave Id, Indybay.org. The documentary shows how
the City of Oakland and its Police tried to shut down the budding “Occupy
Wall Street” movement, turning downtown Oakland into a teargas filled war
zone and injuring numerous people. Police video obtained in discovery in
the National Lawyers Guild’s successful lawsuit and interviews with
activists and journalists about their experiences, tell the real story of
the disastrous Fall 2011 police actions that pushed the troubled OPD to the
brink of federal receivership.

Documentary (in it’s current state) is 25 minutes and will start around
3:15. Expect light refreshments and intellectual discourse! We’re
interested in sparking conversation around police accountability in the
Oakland area and beyond. If you have any interest in direct involvement
with OPD accountability (especially if you are a coder!), you won’t want to
miss this!

The producers and some plaintiffs (including Scott Olsen) will be present
to answer any questions.

Jacob Crawford is a long time Copwatcher based out of the Bay Area in
California. He joined Berkeley Copwatch
<http://www.berkeleycopwatch.org/>in 2000 and produced the first ever
“in the streets” non-dramatized know
your rights video “These Streets Are Watching”. He currently is running
WeCopwatch.org <http://wecopwatch.org> with other Copwatchers and has been
a contributor for CopBlock.org <http://copblock.org> for several years.

----------
Jenny