[sudo-discuss] crime and violence ... of the corporate variety

Danny Spitzberg stationaery at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 23:19:17 PST 2013

hey friends,

On a slightly different note, a very close friend of mine, Gary Ruskin, is
running a the Center for Corporate Policy, relatively new nonprofit focused
on fighting corporate crime and violence. Previously, he managed the Prop
37 campaign to label GMOs. Recently, he published a report highlighting how
big businesses are spying on activists and radical nonprofits (see this
article<http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-corporations-increasingly-spying-on-nonprofits-group-says-20131120,0,3211134.story>
in
the LA Times).

Lately, Gary and I have been taking about how to begin organizing
"mainstream" (forgive the label) tech workers around progressive politics,
far beyond mere "civic hacking" on transit apps or Twitter accounts to
report inefficiencies. More on that in the coming months...

I'm writing to you all because Gary and I also asked:

Where do folks like the Center for Corporate
Policy<http://www.corporatepolicy.org>go to find allied talent who
might develop and evolve their online presence
and strategy? At first I thought, well, hmmm, the warm, loving, and
supporting Sudo Room crew.

So – if folks know folks up for the task of improving
www.corporatepolicy.org, let me know!

And – if folks are interested in the bigger picture of building bridges
between mainstream tech workers and radical activists, I'm eager to
continue that conversation, too.

sincerely,
Danny