[sudo-discuss] Sudo Room Board Meeting Notes

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 20:24:25 PST 2013

*Sudo Room Board Meeting Summary*

Please see https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Board for succinct summation :-)

Attendees (8/13): Marc, Jenny, Matt, Hol, Julio, Romy, Max, Vicky

Please do any independent Research for the a Non Profit California Benefit
Corporation beforehand to inform us.

If folks want to update our wiki page collaboratively -
https://sudoroom.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Board&action=edit#&togetherjs=Rm8anDLwFb

We are:

   - a "Non-profit public benefit corporation" under the state of
   California, organized for public and charitable purposes

   - California corporations code 5110 (5300?)

   - Incorporation Process followed to get us here "Nonprofit Public
   Benefit Corporation"
   http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/be/filing-tips-corp.htm#artsnp

   - The specific purpose of this corporation is to promote and encourage
   scientific, technical, engineering and artistic skills through individual
   projects, social collaboration, and education. In the context of these
   purposes, the corporation shall engage in scientific, charitable and
   educational activities within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the
   Internal Revenue Code.

   - but we are not Federally 501(c)(3) yet.

1. What are our responsibilities?

   - Legally. What do we have to report?

   - How are we going to ensure those reports?

   - Pay taxes, or the treasurer is liable

2. How often should the board meet?

   - 0 or more times per year?

   - Announce only once a year?

   - During regular weekly sudo meetings? [enthusiasm for this one]

   - over email?

What are Articles of Incorporation?

   - Proposed Articles of Incorporation (Marc copy pasted from NB's made
   some edits with Matt): https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Bylaws

Marc's proposal is to break out the Articles to be the minimum of board
responsibilities and have a more fluid bylaws define how we operate... to
separate legal stuff from doing stuff.
It's all on the wiki, and on meeting minutes