[sudo-discuss] New wiki learning & collaboration feature now active!

Pete Forsyth peteforsyth at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 10:35:06 PST 2013

Last night I installed "CollabOERate" on the Sudo Room wiki. This is a
feature that permits real-time collaboration on a wiki page! It's sort of
like having an Etherpad experience within a wiki page. I haven't yet made
it active by default, it's probably worth experimenting a bit first.

To try this feature, you will need (ideally) a recent version of Firefox or
Chrome, and a friend. On the Sudo wiki, you both need to:

   - go to Preferences -> Gadgets
   - check: <gadget-CollabOERate>
   - click "save"

Now, as you browse around the wiki, you will see a button: [CollabOERate]
in the lower left of every screen. When you click that, you'll be assigned
a custom URL you can send to your friend.

Have fun, and please let you know what you think!

I am thinking I might offer a wiki training session some time this week to
try using this feature. Watch for an announcement -- and if you want to
participate, feel free to let me know what times work best for you!

Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]

p.s. Thanks to Mozilla for the enabling technology "TogetherJS",
WikiEducator for making the gadget that works on MediaWiki sites, and Matt
Senate and various Mesh folk for helping me test it out!