[sudo-discuss] sudoroom phone!

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed Aug 7 22:33:31 PDT 2013

I think sudoroom should have a telephone!  a real telephone, wired into
the wall.  Perhaps sudoroom already has a telephone number?  I don't know.

The reason i say this is because unlike noisebridge, sudoroom is only open
(to non-members a.k.a. potential members) at uncertain times.

I would really like to be able to tell these people "call this number to
see if anyone is at the space".  That way, if sudoroom is open, the
members there can answer the telephone and tell the noobs that it's okay
to bike over, or whatever they do for transport.

If there is not a telephone at sudoroom already, I think we should set up
a VOIP phone.  I know there is at least one VOIP box at sudoroom and if
not, i volunteer to donate one.  (it's just a little box that plugs into
the ethernet, and has a telephone jack)

If anyone has a nice telephone, we can use that.  Alternately I volunteer
to grab a payphone from noisebridge (there are a couple on a shelf) and
bolt it to the wall inside sudoroom and set it up.

but i am not willing to set up the VOIP account and configure the little
box, someone else can do that.  Fortunately the cost of a VOIP phone line
is on the order of $2 per month (yes thats right).

I think it should be a 510 number, because some people don't have long
distance and it actually matters.

-jake