[sudo-discuss] Sudo Shirts: 2nd Edition

Dan Finlay igreenteamtech at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 14:42:05 PDT 2013

Hi Sudoers,

I've received some inquiries about when we could do a second batch of sudo shirts.  Herein I will lay the groundwork for such shirts to happen.

First of all, today I was struck with a very simple sudo shirt design, which combines a few ideals that I've developed from my time screen printing:  Using a colored shirt, minimizing ink use through tactful shirt color choice, creating focus from the graphical elements instead of the text.  Also since this design would be a one-screen design, it would be ideal for doing an in-house screen printing workshop using water based inks (another environmentally superior decision), not to mention the possibility of keeping the screen on location for impromptu sudo prints.

This design is not actually the original sudo-button .svg that goes around.  I modified this one (attached) to enhance the lines, fix a couple corner-jag issues, and to tweak some of the sides to be more parallel.

I'm pretty sure the edges are not all "perfectly parallel" here, and if we have any illustrator gurus on the list, that might be a cool thing to do.  That said, this is a more precise sudo logo than we've had before, let me know if the subtle imperfections were cherished and I can revert this design.  (Btw- What's the constellation depicted?  Any?)

I and other sudo members have volunteered to donate the labor involved in producing these shirts, which would bring the price down to "cost", which will be $4.55 per shirt (American Apparel runs more expensive, but has some good-labor practices, so unless there's another preferred manufacturer, it seems the morally superior choice for now).

I donated the previous batch of shirts, but I'm currently donating what I can per month in dollars, so I'd like the Sudo Room's help to buy the blank shirts.  If resold at $20 each, there would be a 339% profit on each shirt sold, which is probably a good thing to ask, since it doesn't require change, and it's a fundraising shirt anyway.

So:  How's support for this design, and at $4.55/shirt, how many would we like Sudo Room to stock up on?

When the time to print comes around, I'll organize the volunteer effort, thanks for all the offers I've received!

-Dan Finlay