[sudo-discuss] meetings, learnings from biohacking

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 17:06:18 PDT 2013

You still need to define "working on what", otherwise you end up having
to waste a lot of time defining that in the moment.

General meetings still need structure, otherwise people lose sight of them
having any purpose and they tend to expand in scope and time length
geometrically.

I still think sudo room would do fine simply splitting out Bureaucracy
and the current general meeting, which actually runs quite well most of the
time.

On Thursday, April 25, 2013, Anthony Di Franco wrote:

> That's a great idea.
> Or, just separate the weekly meeting into general and working time blocks
> so people can come to whichever they would like.
>

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Patrik D'haeseleer <patrikd at gmail.com<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'patrikd at gmail.com');>
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 7:51 AM, Marina Kukso <marina.kukso at gmail.com<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'marina.kukso at gmail.com');>
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> for the biohackers is a working meeting a hacking meeting or a meeting
>>> where business relating to the functioning of the group gets done? because
>>> if it means the latter, then our meeting is supposed to be that :P
>>>

>> Typically more of the latter, because of the stage the bio group is at,
>> at the moment. But as long as we're making significant progress towards
>> having a functioning DIYbio lab, it's all good.
>>
>> We also have a "general meeting" for the East Bay DIYbio group (every
>> last friday - coming up tomorrow!) that is more about making introductions,
>> exchanging cool ideas, socializing, etc. Which is also essential for
>> building a community, but if we only have that kind of meetings, we'd never
>> get any of the boring logistics done.
>>
>> "General meeting" and "working meeting" is just what I've started calling
>> them, and nobody has called me on it yet ;-) For the first "working
>> meeting", we set it up over email among some of the key members, because we
>> wanted it small and focused enough to actually get anything done. But I
>> think as long as we advertize that this is a *working* meeting, and that
>> people will be expected to contribute and get something done, they will
>> automatically self-select accordingly.
>>
>> Maybe sudoroom needs a separate "general meeting" that is more free-form,
>> and not focused on rules issues etc? Heck, I might even come to those! ;-)
>>
>> Patrik

Naomi Theora Most
naomi at nthmost.com
+1-415-728-7490