[sudo-discuss] [dorkbotsf-blabber] Question about gender diversity in the makerspace.

Andrew andrew at roshambomedia.com
Tue Apr 23 11:39:33 PDT 2013

I think that it's also important to not just take random guesses, but
instead to make observations and then try to get real data that
can hopefully lead to experimentation that can lead to
implementing practices that actually work.

What I've found in a few different communities is
that encouraging gender diversity starts with having that as an explicit
goal early on and to include gender diverse people in
the organizing, planning, and promoting of your project. If your board of
directors in all male and you are just now thinking about adding gender
diversity as a goal you are going to have a much harder time, it's an up
hill battle.

--Andrew

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 7:16 AM, Romy Ilano <romy at snowyla.com> wrote:

> I think the cool women doing tech at sudo room is due to Oakland and the
> east bay
>

> Plus the guys are pro women and feminist ... You don't find these cool
> attitudes in many places but we can change that
>

> ---
>
> Romy Ilano
> Founder of Snowyla
> http://www.snowyla.com
> romy at snowyla.com
>
> On Apr 22, 2013, at 12:24, Anthony Di Franco <di.franco at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> A serious complication to our putting a specific number on this in a
> data-based way is that our concept of membership is vague and largely
> informal.
> Regular dues-payers is probably the closest we have but that is also
> explicitly not a membership requirement in itself and there are notable
> exceptions that make it clearly incorrect strictly speaking.
> People with rfid door access might also work with similar caveats.
> On Apr 22, 2013 12:20 PM, "Patrik D'haeseleer" <patrikd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Forwarding this to sudoroom in oakland, who also seem to have a fairly
>> good F/M ratio - not 50/50, but better than I've seen in most techie
>> fields. And of course HackerMoms in Berkeley is completely women-run as
>> well.
>>
>> Patrik
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 9:07 AM, Dan Novy <novysan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey, Dorks, we're having a discussion about gender diversity in the
>>> makerspace and I'm hearing from many east coast spaces that they're about
>>> 90/10 Male to Female ratio. Coming from the west coast I don't know if we
>>> truly had a higher percentage or not but it sure seemed so. Just so I have
>>> some rough numbers, what would some of you who are members of groups like
>>> SRL, NIMBY, Crucible, Ship Yard, Noisebridge, and especially the Flaming
>>> Lotus Girls. I seem to remember a lot of female participation and
>>> leadership. Any guesses?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> NovySan

-------