[sudo-discuss] 3D scanning of sudoroom objects with mobile

Marc Juul marcjc at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 12:55:42 PDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 9:38 AM, David Rorex <drorex at gmail.com> wrote:

> Speaking of Ace Monster Toys, I've been 3d scanning their members:
> http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:70156

Hah! The lower resolution makes them look kinda stylized and cartoonish in
an awesome way. We should print a hacker version of the green plastic army
men, with member's faces:

  http://www.danbecker.info/minis/miniother/ArmyMen/IMG_0014-900.jpg

We can have "the electronics hacker", "the software hacker", "the crafter",
"the food hacker", "amateur radio person" etc. and make female and
transgendered models.

We'd probably have to make them bigger than normal green army men in order
to get recognizable faces if we print on our own printer.

It might also be a good fund-raising idea, to have a booth somewhere and
make "green army^h^h^h^hhacker men^h^h^hpeople" with people's faces on
them.

Donate x units of currency and get a file of your model, a couple of
renders and a link for ordering from a commercial 3D print shop if you like.
Donate y units and we'll send you the physical model (we can just order
from one of the commercial services for now).

Not exactly a revolutionary idea. I've seen people do similar. I just got
excited :-)

Also: sudo room will have a kinect by the end of the day.

--
Marc Juul