[sudo-discuss] Fwd: [hackerspaces] Radio Shack Hackerspace Challenge seeks challenger

Ryan Bethencourt ryan.bethencourt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 07:55:51 PDT 2013

Hi All,

Here's an idea, how about a Star Trek like Tricorder? It would be crazy
tough (lots of different tech fields and medicine) but super nerdy, awesome
and there are already some great prototypes out there. Plus if we're
successful we can also win the star trek tricorder prize :)

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:13 AM, aestetix <aestetix at aestetix.com> wrote:

> Quick question about this hackerspace challenge thing.... what are the
> terms?
>
> I ask because Red Bull did a similar challenge a few years ago, and it
> was actually kind of evil. They sent "kits" out and asked people to
> build projects out of them. Most people did not realize that Red Bull
> retained all the rights to all creations, and the only actual "prizes"
> people got were things like red bull merchandise.
>
> This might be different, but it's worth considering: read the fine
> lines very closely, and make sure the company's brand (in this case,
> radioshack) is something you are comfortable having associated with
> your name :)
>
> On 4/18/13 1:09 AM, Andrew wrote:
> > I like cats and beer. I think you are on to something Hol....
> >

> > On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM, Hol Gaskill <hol at gaskill.com
> > <mailto:hol at gaskill.com>> wrote:
> >
> > not even orbital sciences was ready to send something to orbit
> > today...i'm thinking something more cat-or-beer-related
> >

> > Apr 17, 2013 05:01:11 PM, andrew at roshambomedia.com
> > <mailto:andrew at roshambomedia.com> wrote: ok hold on, Artisan's
> > Asylum built a Laser Harp! If we do accept it wont be easy. Are we
> > ready to send something in to orbit yet?
> >

> >> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM, Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
> > <mailto:hol at gaskill.com>> wrote:
> >>

> > i enjoy a multi-pronged approach
> >>

> > Apr 17, 2013 02:07:39 PM, andrew at roshambomedia.com
> > <mailto:andrew at roshambomedia.com> wrote:
> >>
> > so who can create the largest bot net for voting. got it. I'm in
> > :-)
> >>

> >> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 12:16 PM, David Rorex drorex at gmail.com
> > <mailto:drorex at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >>

> >> If you do get selected, the key to winning is not making the
> >> best
> > project, but getting the most people to vote for you. There's no
> > objective judging process, it's all based on how many people click
> > your name on an online website voting form. But don't worry, the
> > loser still gets a consolation prize of a couple hundred dollars
> > radio shack gift card.
> >>

> >> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
> > <mailto:pnaomi at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >>

> > Cool!  I wanna play too!
> >>

> >> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
> > <mailto:hol at gaskill.com>> wrote:

> > i'm always down for competitive creativity
> >>

> > Apr 17, 2013 08:30:02 AM, rachelyra at gmail.com
> > <mailto:rachelyra at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>

> > On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Ken Murphy kenmrph at gmail.com
> > <mailto:kenmrph at gmail.com>> wrote:

> >> Hello Hackerspace folks-

> >> Last year was the first Radio Shack Hackerspace Challenge, a
> > friendly competition between Ace Monster Toys in Oakland, CA, and
> > Artisan's Asylum in Somerville, MA.  It's happening again this
> > year, and we're looking for challengers to take on the current
> > champs (Artisan's Asylum).

> >> The challenge is sponsored by Radio Shack, and will be featured
> [...]

Ryan Bethencourt

Tel: (415) 794 6463
ryan.bethencourt at gmail.com

www.bamh1.com