[sudo-discuss] solar phone charging station

Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
Wed Apr 17 15:55:32 PDT 2013

Hi folks,

I have moved my offgrid test panel to sudo room.  To use it, plug in any cigarette lighter type device into aux 1 or aux 2 plugs and flip the associated switch.  Right now in aux 1 there is a 2-port USB charger (that is compatible with iPhones unlike some units) that I think can put out up to 2 amps.  Storage is in the tiny battery for now, but I'd like to use a bigger one to allow its use later into the night - is anyone reserving on to that one in the cubbies for something or can I hook it up?  Third from the bottom switch goes to the 400 watt inverter that's attached for driving AC loads.  It works on the window fan when fully charged, becomes angry when less charged.  Eventually I'll put an arduino and power transistors in there for automatic switching of various things.

If anyone wants to collaborate on offgrid projects relating to water, power, or agriculture i am usually interested in that sort of thing, especially if someone has a greenhouse they want to automate, or a garden they want to build an automated greenhouse on:
http://www.reuk.co.uk/Solar-Greenhouse-Heat-Sink.htm
http://nwteche.com/red7_blog/open-source-diy-greenhouse-project/

Anyways, try it out next time you need to charge a phone at sudo room.  Maybe use the inverter for your laptop if all the outlets on the power strip are taken :)

Let me know if you have any problems/ideas!

Cheers,
Hol