[sudo-discuss] just got mugged and maced near sudo room

Ryan Bethencourt ryan.bethencourt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 10:04:49 PDT 2013

Great blog post Naomi and really sorry to hear that you experienced an
attack in Oakland. Thank goodness you weren't more badly hurt!

I'm still blown away by how, in your case, technology was so empowering and
helped find the perpetrators so incredibly quickly. Your forward thinking
on installing the tracking app made a huge difference (you've made me
personally realize how important these apps are and I'm going to install
one on my phone too now, just in case!).

We're a community, not just in Sudo room but outside of it too, so if I (or
I'm sure many of our fellow sudo'ers) can ever help let me/us know.

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:54 AM, Anon195714 <anon195714 at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> Great blog post, Naomi.  It conveys a strong sense of resolve and power in
> dealing with the jerks who mugged you, and with the aftermath.
>
> What surprised me is that there were three of them acting together, and
> the one who sprayed you appeared after the first two ran off.  That's
> organized activity, not casual opportunistic crime.  It would be
> interesting to see if any security videos emerge in the case, showing them
> hanging out around the bus stop before they jumped you.
>
> Probably the end result will be that they implicate each other, and all
> end up doing well-deserved time.  Probably also, one of them will be found
> with a bunch of other stolen mobile devices, so your action will end up
> solving other cases as well.  BTW, three people acting together to commit a
> felony, can also be prosecuted for felony conspiracy.
>
> Do you want other SudoRoom members to go to any of the various hearings
> and trial dates, for community support?
>
> -G.
>
> =====
>

> On 13-04-10-Wed 1:21 AM, Naomi Most wrote:
>
> I finished my blog post about the attack and aftermath.
>
>  http://nthmost.com/2013/04/mugged-and-pepper-sprayed-in-downtown-oakland/
>

> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 2:22 PM, William Budington <bill at inputoutput.io>wrote:
>
>> That's awful :(  I hope you're doing okay, assaults like that can
>> definitely be jarring.
>>
>> If experience from various mass mobilizations & protests gives any
>> credence, there are some methods to alleviate the burning from pepper
>> spray.  Medics in these situations often carry water bottles to flush
>> out the eyes of those effected.  Basically you just lean your head back
>> and pour lukewarm water into your eyes to wash away as much of the
>> harmful chemical as possible.
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uppkHUPvO4
>>
>> That being said, that's usually when there are lots of people there to
>> help, and you're well prepared.
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> On 04/09/2013 01:55 AM, Naomi Most wrote:
>> > 11:45pm at the 20th st bus stop (at Broadway) waiting for the 72M.
>> >
>> > So, ah, watch yourselves.
>> >
>> > I was transferring my iPad to my backpack when 2 muggers wrenched it
>> out of
>> > my hands and a third one maced me right in the eyes.  I mean not just a
>> > little spray, a serious "I mean to blind you" lengthy spray.
>> >
>> > An emergency team showed up about 6 minutes after the incident, and the
>> > cops showed up about 8 minutes after.  They were very helpful.
>> >
>> > One of them asked if I had "Find my Phone" installed, which I did.  They
>> > activated it and located the iPad right away.  They detained 2 suspects
>> who
>> > were carrying the iPad.
>> >
>> > I sat in the back of a cop car as they stood under the light.  One
>> suspect
>> > wasn't so clear to me, and I said so -- I wasn't sure. The other suspect
>> > was *definitely* the girl who maced me, so I said so.  They let the guy
> [...]

Ryan Bethencourt

Tel: (415) 794 6463
ryan.bethencourt at gmail.com

www.bamh1.com