[sudo-discuss] just got mugged and maced near sudo room

Anon195714 anon195714 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 9 02:33:31 PDT 2013

I just emailed Naomi privately; this part is for the SR list:

1)  Any type of mobile device or anything that looks like one, including
tablets, is BIG BIG BIG mugging fodder these days, not just because the
devices can be resold, but because they contain personal data that can
be used to steal your identity or at least hijack your bank account.
Put your devices away before you leave SR, do not let them be seen when
you're on the street, EVEN in the DAYtime.  In the Mission in SF, people
get robbed of their mobiles in the middle of the day: grab-and-run,
often getting pushed down or otherwise injured in the process.

2)  ALWAYS go out in pairs, never alone.  This was a feminist issue when
I was in college, it was called "Take Back the Night".  These days it's
for guys as well as gals: everyone, even if you're built like a
sanitation worker and don't think anyone would ever want to mess with
you: the badguys have weapons.

3)  If someone is going to be leaving after dark, always offer to
accompany them to whatever means of transport they use and wait with
them until they are moving (until they are on the road or on the bus or
in the paid area of BART etc. etc.).  Take another person with you so
there are three going out and two coming back.  Just DO IT as a matter
of routine.

4)  We need cameras outside.  I can get Panasonic outdoor cameras at
wholesale if SR or the building owner wants to buy them, they run on
Cat5 cable, power-over-ethernet, and can go into a network.  I might
have a line on a couple of oldschool outdoor cameras in big housings
that are highly visible and may help as a deterrent, though they are not
network cameras.  Ideal case, we put it online so any SR member can
watch the outside of the building, and it becomes normal to keep the
camera screens open while you're working at your computer.

5)  We might want to consider self-defense classes or anything else that
can empower people.  There are community/nonprofit groups that teach
various techniques for personal safety & defense, someone around here
probably knows how to find them.  Part of it is "situational awareness":
being alert about the environment wherever you are, potential risks,
potential safety advantages, who's around, what to do if a risk turns
into a direct threat, etc.

6)  We need a meeting topic on security, and an ongoing discussion about
it.  This topic is always going to be current.

Enough was enough long ago!  No more!

-G.

======