[sudo-discuss] Wikileaks Plus D & the Kissinger Cables

Anon195714 anon195714 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 8 05:37:52 PDT 2013

Yo's-

Interesting.  A couple of things to keep in mind (speaking from more
than casual knowledge here):

One can start with unclassified material, apply analysis, and produce an
output that itself can become classified material.  This is how OSI
works (open-source intelligence, where "open source" means "not
classified sources").  So it is possible that some of what Wikileaks has
produced, may be classifiable material.  If it's deemed classified, it
may or may not be advisable to access even if publicly available (for
example if one ever applies for certain kinds of jobs for which one
might be subject to extensive screening questions).  In my experience
one should either err on the side of caution or give thought to the
question of how one might defend one's actions if need be.

General rule in intel:  Collection is easy, post-processing is tedious,
and analysis is hard.  Wikileaks appears to have collected the material
lawfully from released archives, and post-processed it.  What Eddan is
calling for here is to add software functionality that simplifies the
analytic task.  Adding that functionality to software used for analysis
of material, shouldn't raise any controversies in and of itself,
especially if the software is useful for other tasks aside from
analyzing leaked data dumps.

Analysis requires a certain amount of training and a certain mindset.

By way of training, there is extensive unclassified published literature
we can add to our library if anyone's interested.  Some of it is
technique-specific, most of it is general but still useful to read by
way of acquiring certain ways of thinking about data.  Anyone else here
with cog sci background may find themselves amused at the degree to
which the US Gov is behind the times in that area: surely we can do
better, and we might consider a project to improve upon gov-recommended
techniques.

The intel mindset is a personality trait that may not be easy to
acquire, but one approximation is a combination of above-average pattern
sense (roughly equivalent to mild paranoia;-) combined with the ability
to doubt your own hypotheses and conclusions, the ability to empathize
with others (such as the subjects of one's inquiries, or at least being
able to approximate an understanding of their own personality traits),
and relentlessly apply Occam and other reasoning tools to sort the wheat
from the chaff.  There is a tendency that must be overcome, to get stuck
in a groove of either overestimating or underestimating apparent
patterns in the data.  Getting the balance right, is very difficult and
can be refined with training.

And of course one needs to adopt a scientific attitude of objectivity or
at least non-prejudice about one's subject matter, for example one can't
go into an exercise with predetermined notions about the motives of
individuals etc.  (In other words, don't jump to conclusions based on
the names "Nixon" and "Kissinger.")

Very often it turns out that the key to an analytic exercise is not
something obvious in and of itself, such as ferreting out a damning
quote from a subject, but rather something that emerges in the
relationships between two or more pieces of data each of which is
unremarkable.

Anyway, if anyone's interested, we can discuss further.  Though, this
week I'm majorly busy with work.

laters-

-G.

=====