[Mesh] NSA and OpenWRT

Steve Berl steveberl at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 10:29:07 PST 2013

I was at Cisco when both TR-69 and CALEA support were active topics of
discussion and development.

CALEA support was required of us in order to sell equipment to all the big
Telco companies, because governments required those companies to allow law
enforcement to do local imtercept. It was never part of any consumer or
small business router or switch. It only went into the big routers and
switches that go into big central offices.

TR-69 came about as a reaction to CableLabs DOCSIS standard for remote
management of cable modems. Before this, every cable modem vendor had a
proprietary management protocol and applications and cable companies either
got locked in to one vendors modems, or had a terrible patchwork of
management applications. DOCSIS was a standard adopted by the cable
companies and forced on the modem vendors to help clean that up.

Meanwhile the DSL services and modem vendors were headed down the same road
and said they could come up with something better, that would also address
some problems specific to DSL. So they came up with the competing TR-69
standard.

Both DOCSIS and TR-69 have the capability to set up packet captures, and
filters and triggers for those captures. This was intended as a debugging
tool, but could certainly be used to ease drop. Neither would be very
efficient for capturing lots of local traffic and sending it someplace.
Capturing at the CO is more efficient on a working connection.

Steve

On Friday, December 6, 2013, Charles N Wyble wrote:

> Would someone mind setting reply to list instead of sender?

-steve