[sudo-discuss] sudoroom 3D printer back online!

Jake jake at spaz.org
Sun Dec 22 13:29:13 PST 2013

last night I replaced the hotend on the sudoroom type-a-machine 3d
printer.

after that i spent a bit of time attempting to print and kept running into
problems, which i'll list.

it seems that some of the PLA we have that came from type A machines is
clearly labeled to be printed at 190-220 degrees!  I have always used 185,
but i guess this is a new formula.  When i set it to 205 it still seemed
too cold, so i ended up using 220.

You should set the temperature in the slic3r before you export your gcode.
There are other ways to do it, but if you know them you don't need me to
tell you.

the other issue is that our spools of filament are dusty!  it's gross.
And all that dust goes into the extruder and jams it up.  The nozzle is
only 0.35mm diameter!  so clean the filament spool first (DO NOT GET PLA
WET) and keep a dust-catcher on the filament before it goes into the
machine.  I put one on there last night.

something like this would be fine, if we had the right foam, but for now i
just cut some acrylic fabric and wrapped it around the filament with some
copper wire to hold it on there.  It should work but check it once in a
while, or when changing spools.

someone had put tape over the old tape on the platform in a very chaotic
and haphazard way.  Also there were a few melted spots on the platform
where a hot extruder had been rammed into the platform and created a
little vulcano.

I carved the raised spots off the platform with a flat-edged blade,
leveling them off, and then i re-arranged the tape properly so there is NO
OVERLAPPING OF TAPE and only one layer of tape.  It is necessary to
maintain the platform any time you're trying to print if it is not already
good to go.

I didn't re-level the platform so if someone else wants to do that go
ahead.  It seemed a bit higher on the left than on the right.  I like to
get a perfectly cylindrical object and adjust the z-height so it just
barely rolls under the extruder tip, and then try in four corners of the
platform to compare the height.

now join the sudo-prints mailing list!